The Background
All of you know, or should know by now, that my life calling is to be a teacher. I went back to school and into debt to get my teaching license. I LOVED that experience, LOVED my student teaching, didn't LOVE the praxis (but LOVED passing it!) and I would LOVE to have my own classroom some day.
Well, I was done with the requirements for my license in December '09. I thought I would substitute teach for the rest of the year, for the district, but found out there were nearly 4,000 other people who had the same idea. So I looked for a job elsewhere. I got a "call center" job for a company who sold dietary supplements and the such. It didn't feel legit, so I wasn't sad when I got a call from someone wanting to offer me a job based on a referral from a previous interviewer. I had originally interviewed to be a receptionist at a Keller Williams Realty office and the person who interviewed me referred me to an agent who was looking for a personal assistant. I took the job when they told me they would offer me more and I wouldn't have to be taking orders and answering questions about "legit" pills.
The Personal Assistant
I thought I would like being a personal assistant and keeping someone else organized. It turns out that it's just another office job. I would wait to see what they wanted me to do next. I wasn't in a position to be a self-starter because I honestly had no idea what needed to be done next. I wasn't in the loop. And it wasn't for not trying. It wasn't what I thought it would be. And, it wasn't teaching.
The Office Assistant
The agents I worked for, while working for them, moved offices; from Keller Williams to Prudential. A month after we moved to Prudential, Prudential announced a merge with another local real estate company. A month after that (around April), they announced we would be moving locations. Prudential was going to be very busy trying to assimilate two companies into one, and physically moving locations. They would need more help. Luckily, the agents I was working for didn't need me full-time anymore. Ta-Da! I now work for the office and the agents. Confusing?
Well, try this. Before the office asks me to be an office assistant, they want to know if I would be the office administrator at another branch. They asked me right in the middle of hiring season for schools. I was honest and told the office that I did want to be the administrator, but that I wanted to teach more and I could not commit. If I was given a teaching job, I would leave. It was a gamble for me, and would be a gamble for the office to give me the position. They didn't take it. I was stuck being an office assistant. The work was busy, but wasn't teaching.
Looking For Something Else
After a couple months of working two jobs in the same building (in the office for the office, and in the office for the agents--don't worry, it was confusing for everyone I worked with), and with no job offers of teaching, and after moving to Pleasant Grove, I decided it was time to look for another job. Not that I didn't like what I was doing, per se, but if I was going to do easy office work, I might as well try to find another office that paid more and was closer to home.
I had an interview for an insurance office, and it went well. It was down to me and one other girl, but I think I threw in the towel for both me and the office when they said it was a position that was eventually based on sales. Ugh. "Sales is not my strong point," I said. "I rather like making the customer happy and informed, regardless if they buy from me or not." The guy said he thought that was good, but apparently not good enough. Oh well, I don't do sales.
So, the Prudential Office knew I was looking for another full time job. It so happens that another agent was looking for another full-time employee (already had four). The office referred me to him. We'll call him bank agent (he sells bank owned homes). Well, bank agent and I talked and he offered me a job without a real interview. It paid more and was more stable. Only thing is that he can be busy and mean--like yell-at-you and call-you-stupid mean. I had never witnessed it, but heard about it. I figured I could handle it because I understood that it only came from him being busy and on the banks' schedules.
Working for Bank Agent
I worked well with his already established team. I like staying busy, learned quickly, and had already known alot of my duties considering I'd been an assistant before. The first week went well. The second week was VERY difficult.
I started working with him on a Monday. Thursday (four days later) I got a call from Lehi Jr saying they wanted me to be a full time sub. The pay was less (because I don't work holidays and summers), but I would be there every day of the school year. Friday (the end of my first week) I tell Bank Agent I got an offer. (He already knew I wanted to be a teacher, but knew my chances of finding another job were slim.) When I told him, he took it well, but not well. He didn't get angry, but really wanted me to stick around. His first reaction was to ask what it would take to keep me around. Nothing; I want to be in the schools. He offers me a raise, and I say I won't take it. He doesn't give up; he tells me to go home over the weekend, think, and come back with what it would take for me to stick around.
The Weekend
Seriously? I could name my price? How high was he willing to go? What was I willing to stay for? Most difficult decision EVER!
Why would it be? All I have ever wanted to do was teach. Right? But this wasn't teaching. It paid half as much as teaching and wasn't my own classroom. Bank Agent was willing to pay me more than any other job had. How could I give up a chance to pay off my student loans in one year? And Mike's?
How could I give up a chance to make contacts that could lead me to a job? A real teaching job? A chance to be in the school and know the students? Test my abilities as a teacher or classroom manager? To be able to observe other teachers and their styles without the stress of planning lessons and grading?
You know what won. What I decided on. But I went back with my price--the price I could make if I was a teacher. I never thought he would consider that much. It was a 50% raise. So I went back on Monday and he accepted it. He was willing to pay it, and he knew I didn't think he would. He gave me one more day. He wanted me to be committed to the job if he was to pay me that much.
The Counter Offer
Again? I had to make this decision again? I only felt good when I decided I wanted to sub. I was trying to talk myself into working for Bank Agent--and that wasn't right. I didn't need any convincing when it came to being a sub.
Another Interview
After I've made my decision to leave Bank Agent for the school, I get a call; the same day. It's from a principal in Tooele who was just authorized to open a full-time position for a Junior High History Teacher. They picked me to interview out of 140 candidates. Me and 6 others. Here we go again. It's a real job this time, but an hour away. Each way. I figured that if we stayed in Pleasant Grove, I would spend over $4000 in gas and wear-and-tear in one school year. Ouch. Not to mention driving that far in the snow and horrible traffic of Salt Lake. I want the job; it's a real job. I don't want the inconvenience the job would bring.
I didn't have to make a decision. The school made it for me. The principal said I interview well, and they liked me, but they went with someone else. Could they tell I didn't want it? I don't think so. I think Heavenly Father knew I would take it and it wasn't right for me. I should be in Lehi this year.
The End Result
I still work for Bank Agent, but temporarily. I go in the afternoons and do whatever work hasn't gotten done yet that day. It's a week-to-week basis for now. Which is great for me to make up the money I am going to miss by not working holidays. What's funny is he asks me if I've changed my mine. Nearly every day. And marvels how much money I passed up. He doesn't understand a life calling.
And I LOVE being back in the school. Some of my students remember me from last year. It's so fun to walk down the hall and hear "Hi Miss J!!!" They've even asked me to come back to Mr Wofford's class (where I student taught last year) and do some of the fun activities from last year! LOVE IT!!!
Now, I know I'm a sub and students can make life difficult for a sub. But, I've been there before and some students know me. I am a good teacher, which means I will be a good sub and direct students appropriately--I won't just be mean. And I will be there every day, so students will know my face. I will know what they can and can't get away with.
Also, just as a side note. I need 100 professional development points during the next three years to be able to renew my license without more schooling. I will be able to earn those points not only by going to the district-offered courses, but I will earn them by subbing as well. How great is that?
Worth it.

5 comments:
This was a VERY interesting read! I'm so glad you feel so passionate about your career choice! I know you are an awesome teacher and someday when you have your own class those kids are gonna be so dang lucky!
Wow what a novel. Maybe you should be an English teacher as well. :) I am glad that you are doing what you want to. It is hard to do a job that you don't really like. If you get bored you can come up here and teach Eli preschool for me. I don't think that I could pay you as well though, but I could sign a paper or something to get you your professional development points. Just think about it before you give me an answer. :)
Glad I had the time to read this. I'm happy for you. It's always nice to do what you are passionate about. I would say Good Luck with everything, but I'm not too sure you need it. Congratulations on everything!!!
Great story, Jen! Well worth the time it took to read it. I'm so glad that you were able to follow your heart. Working just for the money isn't very fun, and it's really not fun to have a mean boss (I'm sure he would show his colors later on.) Last of all, the kids are so lucky to have a teacher that really wants to be there with them. Yea for you!!
Way to go, Jen! That is so great you get to do what you love. It'll also be good to have this job if a full-time position ever comes up. You'll be closer to the top of the list because they know you! How great for you. Hope you continue loving all year.
P.S. How does a full-time sub position work??
Post a Comment