*Please note that I have had a long day and you may not want to read my need to vent
I LOVE my nieces and nephews. I LOVE playing with them, helping them with anything, and teaching them new things. What I wouldn't love is 25 of them at the same time. And that's why I got a license teaching secondary school...rather than a bunch of little kids.
And why I have tried to avoid subbing at an elementary school. But, December is a tricky month. See, I have a goal amount of money I have set for myself to make sure our budget is steady from month to month. And December puts a wrench in that plan with TWO WHOLE WEEKS off. Plus, teachers are given rules as to how close to a holiday they can even take time off. So I have to take what I can get for December, even if that means an elementary school.
I did not LOVE the class I was in today... and felt unprepared from all my classes at UVU, while getting my license. (Even though I have subbed in an elementary before-many times, in fact-it has been a looooong time since). Anyway, here's my:
LIST OF THINGS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN HELPFUL BUT I NEVER LEARNED WHILE GETTING A LICENSE TO TEACH SECONDARY, NOT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
1. The patience to be around the same kids alllll day long. Seriously, you want me to entertain someone for 7 hours; not just do the same 80 min act 4 times???
2. The ability to dress appropriately to mix the professional side of teaching and the fact that you have to be outside during recess...in one of the windiest days Utah's seen. What good is recess anyway?!?! (joking!)
3. The listening skills required for tattling EVERY FIVE MINUTES. I don't care that he just dropped a pencil or that she is coloring on her math or that he hit your head with a pencil!!! Are you bleeding? Is the kid in danger? Then I DON'T CARE! (and probably will have been able to notice without your help and would have taken care of the problem, but now I don't feel like it).
4. The answer to this dilemma during recess: "I don't have anyone to play with..."
5. What to do when two boys come in from lunch recess (the only time I have alone, mind you) and say "Z roundhouse kicked M right here [the groin] for no reason." Then, the office calls and tells me to send Z to them right after lunch. And then when I go to tell Z, he starts crying and telling me he won't go. And really absolutely REFUSES to go. Can I please just pick him up and take him myself?
6. Speaking of crying... crying, in class, really? And then, of course, everyone else has to tell me about it while I am trying to give them directions and turn their attention AWAY from the crying student.
7. Teaching anything to a student who just replies with "I don't know how." Really? You had almost the exact same problem for the warm-up today? What did you do then? And I KNOW they can do it...because they did number 1-4. Why is number 5 different? "I don't know..."
*This is something I should know because it happens at every level...but have the least patience for.
8. The desire to want to help. Why can't they just sit down and let me pass out papers? Or erase the board? It would be easier, I promise!
I'm sure there's more, but I am hungry. I promise that I do not hate kids. AT ALL! But it was just one very long day.
13 years ago

3 comments:
Hee, hee. Must have been 1st grade? I love your observations!
Isn't that why we send them to school? Because we can't take it anymore at home either? :) We love you teachers!!
I really liked the roundhouse kick example. :) I once had a 3rd grade kid who didn't take his meds. His eyes glazed over and he turned into a Satan like fiend and started bashing his head on the desk. That was an interesting day. I feel your pain.
Post a Comment