Love Jurassic Park. I've mentioned it a couple times in class. Students were working in groups preparing for presentations. They were on the computers, trying to find video clips that they could use in their presentation. I heard what sounded like Jurassic Park music, and asked if someone was previewing a clip from Jurassic Park. I mentioned it was one of my favorite movies, and I might be tempted to give extra credit for using the movie. Unfortunately, I was imagining things. But, another time, I told students we needed to watch a movie, but I wasn't sure which one to watch. Someone mentioned Jurassic Park, since we had just talked about the dinosaurs that are found in Utah, but I just couldn't justify to myself. . .
But, that's all besides the point. The reason it's my post title is because I have just so much I want to get down that this is going to be a loooong post. I won't mind if you don't read it. (In my ward, the focus this year is Family History. In Primary, we're sharing Family History "Moments." When I shared, I talked about how cool it is to read journals and stories about our ancestors, instead of them just being names. So my goal is to record my history more thoroughly. Since I haven't written in a journal in YEARS, I blame it on the fact that I have a blog. So now I have to blog.) And, I'm sorry, but I probably won't have any pics. I'm trying to write this as quickly as I can. Sorry!
---
The first thing that I want to talk about is the shooting at Sandy Hook. Yeah, it affected me. A couple years ago I read a book (fictional) about a school shooting. It looked at what happens to the friends of the shooter, the parents of the victims, and the parents of the shooter. It was INTENSE. I hated it, but thought it was really good. Well, it just so happened that a couple weeks after I had finished the book, we had a lock down drill in the school. I was a permanent sub, so I knew about it and I knew about the procedure. But, because I was "just" a sub, I had no key to actually LOCK the classroom. Even though I knew it was just a drill, it was still a big deal that I was going to be vulnerable because I was "just" a sub.
Fast forward to this year and Mike texts me saying there was a school shooting, and upwards of 20 people are dead. Of course it was the hot topic in the lunch room. And of course we calm ourselves down by saying "It would never happen to us." But, then we start talking about our students. The PE teacher was in the lunchroom and expressed how they, when on the field, can't hear the announcements and would be left unprotected. And what would we do if it was at lunch? Or during the class break? What if it was one of my students? (What did I do to him/her to push her that much further to this decision???)
Then we hear the stories of what really happened. I am responsible for those bodies in my classroom. What would I do? How brave am I? (You all know the stories, so just use your imagination to figure out what all is going through my brain).
My mom called a couple days after it happened. She felt really bad that she hadn't thought of me, considering I am essentially at ground zero as a teacher. It very well could have happened at Vista Heights, right? I really am not hurt that she didn't call. But, at the same time, it's true. When you hear about a school shooting, do you think about the teachers you know? What kind of responsibility that shooter is putting in their hands? We're not trained body guards. But then we have to be when trying to protect 2000 students from an intruder. I love being a teacher, but how do I answer myself when I ask "how brave am I?"
Fast forward to Monday, when we came back from the weekend news being plastered with stories of Newtown. In all honesty, I couldn't read them. I would be tempted, read a little, then get freaked out and keep browsing. But, I knew all I needed to know. The principal at our school came on the announcements Monday morning and asked for everyone's attention. You could hear a pin drop. The students could hear his sincere tone. He continued to tell the students that they were safe. We do all we can to keep them safe. But they need to take responsibility for their actions and help make everyone feel safe. We, as teachers and faculty, can't provide 100% safety without the students' help. They need to provide some measure of safety with their actions and words too. Do they? (Our school is actually pretty good - but is certainly not perfect. How do we teach them to be nice to each other?)
So then, after the principal is done, I add my own words of encouragement. I can't just ignore the fact that the students are wondering what measures I would take to protect them. So I tell them that I really do care about their safety and would like to think that I would be brave. Yes. I got emotional. (However, in one class the moment was ruined when one student asked "who would you put in the cupboard first?). That day, and until we went on Christmas Break, I provided my students with cardstock and lined paper - allowing them to write letters or cards for the victims. The students I teach are AMAZING! I browsed through them, to make sure I wasn't sending inappropriate, and I was so touched by what my students wrote. If you ever wonder if teenagers "get" emotions, they do. They knew the severity of the situation. It was awesome.
On to gun control. I know there's a ton of controversy surrounding the conversation, but I honestly don't understand why. Anyway, I am not going to get into what I think and why. However, I want to know one thing: WHY CAN WE NOT TURN THE CONVERSATION TOWARDS THE REAL PROBLEM - these people think the only solution is to kill others. Why can't we focus on preventing this from happening. And I'm not talking about the "red flags." I'm talking about starting at HOME! (No, I don't think parents are always the sole person to blame.) But, our homes are being torn apart. These shooters don't see options - why?
(Oh, and people who want to inflict pain will find a way to inflict pain. Just sayin')
---
Holy snow, batman!
Seriously, last year was so nice with all the "warm" days and rain. I told Mike that I wanted to go back in time, to last year, and tell myself to stop complaining, so we didn't have to get hammered this year. The other day I looked outside and we had close to a foot of snow on our back porch wall. It was ca-razy! Not to mention a pain in the butt to drive in while my tires were bald. Please remind to get new tires when I'm told to when getting inspected for registration.
One benefit is that we finally got snow boots! Now we can play without our feet getting cold. Woo!
---
I officially applied to UVU's Master of Education program. And boy am I happy that I don't need to study anymore! That GRE was killer. I ended up with this score: 73rd percentile for the verbal section, 68th percentile for the quantitative section (math), 93 (?) percentile for the analytical writing section. I was happy with these scores. I needed to be in the 40th percentile to be considered by UVU as an applicant. However, what makes me laugh is when else will I be happy with 68 percent!?! That's a D! (But, apparently I am an awesome writer!)
If I do get in, I'll start classes this summer. The program is set up really nice for teachers. They put you in a cohort and plan your schedule. I take 3 classes during the summer semester, and 1 class each semester during the school year. Way easy! And my department chair said as long as I can read and write well, I should have no difficulty with the program. (I'm kind of excited to go back to school)
---
I'm going to Santa Fe this summer! There's a program here called Driven 2 Teach. I apply, they accept me, and THEY pay for me to go to a historical site to learn all kinds of great stuff, and then I come back and teach that great stuff to my students.
I applied last year to go to Boston, but that's a popular one and a lot of people apply. Plus, I was just an hourly teacher, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't get accepted. But this year we, as a History Department, decided to apply as a team to go to Santa Fe (it's less popular...duh). I got accepted, but I honestly don't know if anyone else has been because no one else has mentioned anything. And I don't want to rub it in, so I haven't mentioned anything. My mom joked that we're all just waiting for someone else to say something because none of us wants to hurt eachothers feelings. We'll see. (I'd be bummed if I don't know anyone who's going, but I am still WAAAY excited for this opportunity).
The sad thing is that we're going to Santa Fe the same weekend of Bone and Back. It's become a yearly tradition, and this year it's a Jenkins family affair, so I am way bummed that I won't be there. But I just cannot pass up an opportunity for a free trip!
---
I don't now what's going on next year. There's a new school being built, and we are getting 9th grade. I really want to stay at Vista Heights, and I really want Geography (9th grade). But, I would be happy for a job. The one thing I'm worried about is if I don't fight for Geography now, how long will it be before I have another opportunity to teach it? It's not common for schools to change what classes are given to teachers...
---
LAST ONE!!
I just want these in writing. They're just a couple things that have happened in class:
*Last year, I was making a pros and cons list on the board. I told the students I wanted them to say "pro" or "con" before they told me what to write, because it depended on how they felt which one it was. Anyway, I had my back to them when someone said "Khaaaaaan." I had just watched the Wrath of Khan with Mike, so I knew exactly what the student was referencing. But, I wanted to make sure. I turned around and asked who had said that. A student sheepishly raised his hand, and I confirmed with him what he was referencing. It was awesome. Just fantastic. (If you don't know what I'm referencing, go ask a Trekkie)
*This year, we were talking about Utah's geology, which includes dinosaurs. So someone asked if humans were alive while dinosaurs were alive, and how they survived when dinosaurs didn't. Well, of course humans weren't alive then. Before I could say anything, though, a student shouted out, "They were on the other side of the planet."
*Facepalm
I'll try not to wait so long before the next blog, so you don't have to set aside an hour to read it!
13 years ago

1 comment:
It was fun to read about all your thoughts and goings on. Good luck with everything, and by the way, if I was a student in a scary situation, I would want to be in your class. You are very brave and very wise!!
Post a Comment