I can't let October end without a plug for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. All women, whenever they hear it, know they should be doing more to prevent Breast Cancer. I know I do. Of course, I have a reason to worry, more than some others...
Anyway, my mom has recently found out that she's not cancer free anymore. It came back. It's not as bad as it was last time, but that doesn't make it any less stressful. So, she's back on chemo and back in a wig. BUT, she's not letting life pass her by. She spent almost the entire summer with her children and grandbabies, she's back at Desiree's for the third or fourth time. She goes out with friends all the time. She and my dad drive all around San Diego county whenever they have time. She's not letting cancer stop her from doing anything.
The first time, it took me a while to except that she had cancer. Everyone else "knew" she would be ok. It took me a while to feel the same way. This time I think I'm taking it for granted that she did well last time. I don't like to think about what might happen. I just need to focus on today and make sure I don't let life pass either. But, I also need my mom to know that I love her. Sometimes Mike will tell me that I'm turning into my mom. But, that's ok. I don't mind. I like the person my mom is. She's crazy sometimes, and I say that with affection, but I'd like to be like my mom. And my dad needs to know that I love the support he has shown my mom through this time. He has been to every chemo session this time so far and plans on being to every one she has to go to yet. He's a good husband. And a good dad.
Women--you know what you need to do. Cancer can be treated ONLY if found!
My Mom is a survivor. She found out in the summer of 2006 that she had breast cancer. She had found the lump herself, had a biopsy, and was told she had a 9 cm tumor. She found out right before Jeremy came home from his mission and right before Desiree got married. She waited to tell us until we were all together for the wedding in Tahoe. Everyone seemed to have taken it well, but it was waaay difficult for me to hear and comprehend. While in Tahoe, though, we had other things to distract us. When we got back to Provo, I fell apart. For the first couple of months, I really couldn't think of anything else. The first baby blessing I was at after we found out I fell apart big time. Thinking about how my mom might not be at any of my baby's blessings was a nightmare for me.
Time passed, chemo came and went, her hair went, and she survived. After only 6 months of chemo, she was cancer free in December 2006. Her hair came back and she was healthy again and back for a long time. Since then, we have found out that the cancer that took my grandpa was the same genetic strain found in my mom. My mom's cousin, on my grandpa's side, had the same cancer as well. My mom's brother had cancer years ago, but I'm not sure if it was the same strain... My grandpa's dad also died from cancer. Oh, and my other grandpa was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago as well. (I think my chances of getting cancer sometime in my life are quite high).
Anyway, my mom has recently found out that she's not cancer free anymore. It came back. It's not as bad as it was last time, but that doesn't make it any less stressful. So, she's back on chemo and back in a wig. BUT, she's not letting life pass her by. She spent almost the entire summer with her children and grandbabies, she's back at Desiree's for the third or fourth time. She goes out with friends all the time. She and my dad drive all around San Diego county whenever they have time. She's not letting cancer stop her from doing anything.
The first time, it took me a while to except that she had cancer. Everyone else "knew" she would be ok. It took me a while to feel the same way. This time I think I'm taking it for granted that she did well last time. I don't like to think about what might happen. I just need to focus on today and make sure I don't let life pass either. But, I also need my mom to know that I love her. Sometimes Mike will tell me that I'm turning into my mom. But, that's ok. I don't mind. I like the person my mom is. She's crazy sometimes, and I say that with affection, but I'd like to be like my mom. And my dad needs to know that I love the support he has shown my mom through this time. He has been to every chemo session this time so far and plans on being to every one she has to go to yet. He's a good husband. And a good dad.
Women--you know what you need to do. Cancer can be treated ONLY if found!
3 comments:
Nice write up Jennifer! You know your Mom is my hero and not only my sister but my best friend!!!
Holy Cow that was beautiful! Your family is in all of our prayers.
I'm so sorry Jen. I know how stressful that is on everyone. My Mom got breast cancer and went through radiation and chemo when I was in 9th grade. Maybe you remember. Then 10yrs later she got Ovarian cancer but she beat that too! I hate that cancer can keep coming back, but I'm so glad we both have such strong amazing Mom's!
Post a Comment