As you facebookers know, I started a pottery class tonight--and there will be one class a week for the month of November (and two in December just because of the holidays). It was my gift from Mike for my birthday. I took an obligatory art class in high school, and while I was horrible at drawing, I was good at and enjoyed the ceramics. I never got a chance to try the spinning wheel--and often vocally lamented that fact. Mike was listening and found a place to learn just twenty minutes from home that is relatively cheap.
I was super excited to try, but I must say that I was waaaaay nervous and terrified that I would fail. I imagined the clay spinning into my face every time I tried to maneuver it and nothing could come from these hands of mine.
Much to my surprise, and elation, I am good at it. I think. My teacher of the class said I might be a natural potter. The plan for the first class is to just learn how to center the clay, spin the wheel, and move the clay up and down. Basically getting used to how the clay spins and using your hands (and new muscles). The teacher said students don't usually form pots until the fourth week. Not only did I form one pot, but THREE!!! All different shapes/sizes. I have an artistic talent!
I was all smiles, all night. It was one of the coolest things I have ever done. I LOVE pottery! I already envision myself owning a spinning wheel and even hand-forming creations.
I love Mike!
13 years ago

3 comments:
Jennifer, I am so excited for you. You have found your nitch in the artist world. I do believe you were and are good at cross-stitch, too. Again I am happy for you. Way to go Mike!!!
I have wanted to try that. I looks so much fun. You can get a spinning wheel and teach all of us how to do it over Christmas.
I know a guy that converted his garage into a big pottery studio. He's got the firey thing and everything in there. Maybe one day after you have mastered the art of pottery, Mike will convert a [future] garage into a pottery studio for one of your birthdays. Until then, I'm excited to see all of your pots. Do you have pictures? :)
Post a Comment