Today was kind of crazy. It's the first day back from Spring Break, and I've now become the permanent sub for a teacher in my department who's on unexpected maternity leave. We all knew I was going to take over her classes (and there would be a different sub who would take her two classes while I had my own classes), but me and the teacher were supposed to sit down, today, and talk about the plans...because she wasn't due until May 12th. But Sunday after Spring Break started, she posted a pic of her beautiful baby girl on facebook (5 weeks early). So, not only do I have to rush to make sure my class is in order for today, and to make sure she has all the supplies I need today, I also have to make sure everything is ready for the sub.
But that was all expected today. What I didn't expect was:
-A mouse. In my classroom. During class. A student raised his hand and told me he had just seen something move near my desk. I think I brushed him off because I didn't want to believe him. Really, what could it be. I don't have a door that opens to the outside... But then he tells me "I just saw it again! Run towards the desk. I think it was a lizard or something." Yeah, right. A lizard in my class? I'm pretty sure I left Falkor at home this morning. But then, a moment later, I saw something move out of the corner of my eye. I approach, slowly, and sure enough, a little brown mouse is sitting in between my chair and desk. I jump back, and find half my class watching behind me. Oh boy! While on the phone with the office, requesting a janitor, I'm trying to get them all to be quiet and sit down. Me against 40 of them... Anyway, we didn't see it anymore. I finally had to tell them that if they really wanted to see a mouse they could go to the pet store and the only thing they could talk about for the rest of class was Utah History. But, when they were lining up, waiting for the bell, what do they see just outside in the hall? The mouse.
-To be part of an AP Pyschology class project. I was leaving WalMart and someone was walking behind me. I glance over my shoulder and find them RIGHT behind me. Closer than I would want Mike to walk behind me. If I stopped, she would have run into me. I was wondering if she thought I was her mom, or something, so I turned and looked at her. But she kept walking behind me. My bubble was definitely popped, so I had to ask her "why are you following me???" She kept there, but then kind of veered off. She then appraoched me to tell me she was conducting a "breaking the social norms" experiment for her class. I told her it worked. It's funny to watch those things online...but it's not funny to be a part of them.
13 years ago

3 comments:
A mouse, YIKES!!! Good luck taking over the other class :)
Someone get that mouse a motorcycle.
It was fun catching up on your blog! I'm so glad you got a full-time contract -I'm excited for you!
Post a Comment