We're actually homeowners!!! We put an offer on the house in November. We thought the process was progressing in February, so we started packing. Then we thought it would be great to move during Spring Break. And then we stopped anticipating anything would go quickly. Finally we had official acceptance and a closing date of July 31st, and July FLEW by! All of a sudden we were signing our savings (now and later) away. Of course, considering all of the other things delayed, getting the keys was delayed too. So much so that we thought we weren't going to get the house. But, right after a fabulous family reunion, we got to walk into our first home.
It's pretty great having a home. I actually can't believe I'm blogging, though, because a new home (especially one that hasn't been lived in since January, and that has minor necessary improvements) is a LOT of work. We've been to the store every night since we got the keys, except maybe 3 times. But it's good work we're doing! And it's a good use of our time - we love it!!
Here's a sampling of what we've done so far:
*cleaned the whole place top to bottom (which I couldn't have done in time to move in without my mom's help - THANKS!!)
*installed new hanging blinds for the back door
*weeded hip-high weeds
*installed a new ceiling fan
*fixed a closet rod
*called the plumber, twice (plumber: "Hey, I was just on your street the other day."; me: "yeah... that was us...")
*gotten used to the train at night so we can sleep through it
*watered our lawn enough to see some green grass poking through
*destroyed at least 10 wasp nests
*cleaned the carpets
*replaced the shower head and the tub spout
*hung new drapes for two of the windows
*gotten a real clock that looks nice (I didn't realize buying stuff for MY house would be kinda fun)
So, you can see Mike's drill and assortment of other tools has come in way handy. And we haven't even scratched the surface of our to-do list! But we still love having our own space where we don't have to be quiet for the neighbors while inside.
Oh, and the timing for closing on the house really couldn't have been better. I didn't realize how much work it would need right at the beginning (cleaning the new place, packing, moving, cleaning the old place, unpacking, fixing all the new stuff, etc). We closed right after my semester at UVU ended and right before school started at Vista Heights. It means I've been way busy all summer just to be way busy all year (with having to develop a new curriculum and continuing my Master's program), but I'm doing stuff I LOVE, so it makes it doable. And, there's always holidays to look forward to.
On a side note, I've been too busy to get stressed about school and what to teach. Our first day was Tuesday. I'm teaching 9th grade for the first time since I student taught, so I was a little nervous. But, I thought today that I really love teaching. I just got right into my groove, and I know it's what I was made to do. It's hard to explain how great it really is - you'll just have to trust me.
13 years ago


1 comment:
I am excited to see it sometime.
Post a Comment