{The pallbearers were Brett, Rob, Dan, Jeremy, Jon and Matthew. Honorary pallbearers were Taylor, Zach, Dad, and Jim.}As you might have already read, my grandpa passed away on the 30th of July. He left a great legacy behind and I know he's already working on a great legacy where he's at.
Last Thursday, the 6th, we said our final goodbyes. Mike and I were able to drive down to St George on Weds in time to make it to the viewing. I went with my parents and oldest niece, Janna. We made sure she was prepared to see grandpa's body, without his spirit. She took it well. It was difficult for me to see my grandpa. He had lost a lot of weight still since the last time I visited. He definitely was not the same man I knew. But I know his spirit is the same, just in a different location.
On Thursday, it was Vienna's turn to see my grandpa for the last time. We all spent time preparing her for it, and she seemed to take it a little harder than Janna. She spent a lot of time at the casket and at one point she came up to Mike and I letting us know she was scared... because she was sad. We were all sad.
The services were amazing. What a tribute it was to my grandpa. The chapel was full of friends and family. My grandma gave a tribute to his life's work. My uncle Mark also said some words about the character of man he was and the legacy he's left. There was a musical number by Raquel on the cello, Catherine (cousin Jon's wife) on the viola and a family friend on the piano of Amazing Grace. It was nothing short of AMAZING, bringing tears to our eyes. There was also a tribute to my grandpa's missionary work from the family members who served full-time missions--they sang Called to Serve. As the last speaker, a family friend gave a nice tribute to my grandpa and the truth we have of where he is, who he's with, and that we'll all see him again. The funeral service ended with an amazing rendition of How Great Thou Art.
My grandpa's chosen final resting place was at the mouth of Zion National Park, in Springdale. It was windy, but beautiful. This service was also very touching. Since my grandpa served in the military, the American Legion was there to present the American Flag to grandma, echo Matthew as the bugler, and performed the 21 gun salute. My mom chose me as the photographer for the event, so it kept me a little distracted, which means I was not a bauling mess. But, I won't deny that it was difficult and the pictures might be a little blury from my hands shaking.
In the end, I'll say that I'm going to miss my grandpa. He went too soon. I feel like a child when I think about it. I don't know how to grasp that he won't be there. I know, but I haven't attached myself to the understanding. And I can't help but wonder why so soon. He was so young--why now and why him...
Regardless, I know where he is, who he's with and that I'll see him again. I KNOW it.
(Pictures were taken by my cousin, Beth... I'll have my own as soon as my parents send me copies. I'll post them here or on facebook.)






1 comment:
Jen, I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa! (By the way, my grandma died that same day. Crazy.) Anyway, it sounds like the funeral went well and that he was remembered for the great man that he was. He'd love reading all this great stuff you've written about him. I'm sorry he had to go. It's hard to say goodbye.
P.S. If you get a minute, I commented on your test post down below. So go read it if you get bored enough. :)
Post a Comment