Sunday, September 20, 2009

Just keep swimming

Well, now that Mike has joined, it seems we both have the disease...Not posting. But, it just seems that things have been busy and I rarely have a minute to sit down and even think about what has happened. (Which is really not much--I just keep telling myself to "just keep swimming".)

Now three weeks have passed since I started teaching and they have flown by. I still like it, but there are some definite challenges. My goodness! I gave my first test, to both classes, and some did VERY well. Unfortunately, some did not and brought the average quite low. My cooperating teacher, conveniently, was gone on a tennis tournament so we haven't discussed how it went and what we'll do about it. (I thought the test was easy...) The other challenge is one of my classes before lunch. The attitude that exudes from these particular students is very irritating and difficult to be patient with. I am anxious to try new disciplinary tactics with them, but fear they won't take me and my tactics seriously. I wish I could just place duct tape over their mouths... Regardless, I have a couple ideas. I hope it doesn't get to the point where I have to allow my cooperating teacher to take over. We'll see.

On another note, I finished my grandpa's book. It was FASCINATING! My favorite part was reading about the time they spent in Boston and all the liberal people (members) they met and the different attitude they had regarding church doctrine. My grandpa pointed out that he was asked to teach there because of his staunch conservatism and the hope that it would rub off on the members and the institute students. And boy, did he meet opposition! (For example, my grandma went to Relief Society and it was like a counseling session--anti-priesthood and "here's how we can push our feminist ideas in the church.") Of course, not every one had a passive attitude, but my grandparents often felt that they had to stand up for what was right even during church meetings.

Another aspect of the book that I found very interesting was all the people he's met and influenced. While having his different callings and jobs, he had the opportunity to meet many people that were, or would be, very famous or well-known people--inside and outside the church. While in Boston, his Stake President was Mitt Romney. He was able to meet one of the prophets while in Korea. He had many meetings with men who would eventually become general authorities. After all these people he's met, and the hundreds (maybe up into the thousands) of students he taught, he often asked the question if he made a difference. He would wonder, while writing, if he influenced anyone. How could he not know what a difference he did make? Just by the example he set, and the stories of lives he changed in his book and from those who knew him, I know he made a difference. He touched lives and spirits. He was an example to those with the gospel, and without. Even though he didn't serve a mission when he was 19, his whole life was a mission and he taught more gospel lessons than anyone I know. I'm sure that now he's been able to meet some of those who's lives he's touched, he knows he made a difference.

5 comments:

Jenn J. said...

Sounds like life is going well for you guys and keeping you busy! Your grandpa sounds like a great guy. What cool experiences! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with teaching... especially that group before lunch!

Nancy said...

He made a difference in your life I can tell! I bet of all the people he's influenced, he's most happy about those in his family who are choosing to do what's right.
It is funny the little differences in areas of the church. In Page I'm realizing we were kinda laid back on the little stuff like, the Stake President had a goatee, and visual aids were used in Sacrament talks sometimes, etc. Not a big deal, In my calling now I've just learned a lot about policies I had no clue about before. Overall I think we are pretty uniform though! Love the Lord and share the golspel =)

Lisa said...

There is one thing I have learned while teaching...no matter how easy the test or how well you prepare the students, there will always be a bunch that flunk - because they will never give a crap no matter what you do. It's not you. It's the apathy in kids these days.

Catherine & Jonathan Edie said...

You and Jon are having some similar classroom management/patience building stories! I'll have to give him your duck tape suggestion, it is just the answer he's been looking for! Whether it's high school or fourth grade I guess you'll always have those kids that just won't shut-up. I'm guessing it will be so much nicer when you guys can use your own discipline ideas:)Well excpet maybe not duck tape..haha

Anonymous said...

If you decided to go with the duct tape idea, I have lots of rolls in a variety of colors that you can borrow!! Nancy J