Monday, March 2, 2009

Rant of the Day


Here's a plea to all the teachers out there who request subs--give them credit! I know many people sub because teachers don't make them teach and they usually sit at the desk all day babysitting. But come on!

I subbed today at a high school--earth science. The teacher had the class watch a movie (it was about volcanoes and even though I had to watch it three times, it was neat) and didn't even know that the movie wouldn't last the whole period. He left in his notes that the students should work out of the book "if" they had time. It's almost like teachers are willingly giving students the chance to goof off, talk, listen to their ipods and sneak out of class.

And really, teachers know what students are going to misbehave and what discipline works--let me know!!! I had the school secretary scold me because I sent misbehaving kids to the office--I should have called to the office first. Whatever.

In short, I think ALL wannabe teachers should have to sub before they get their own classroom so they can see what students are really like so they can let subs be productive and not waste everyone's time. (And it will weed out the people who shouldn't be teaching in the first place.)

Oh, and leave a picture seating chart so students can't lie when you ask them their name...

1 comment:

Bill said...

Yay I finally found your blog! I got your email btw. Sorry for not responding yet. I tried the link in that email and it didn't work but since you visited my blog recently I was able to track yours down-hehe :) Anyhoo-its sooo good to hear from you! I was glad to see your email b/c I have been meaning to email you too and see what's going w/ you since you left MODBE and started school. I'm happy to add you to my blog list and am glad you are bloggin too! It's alot of work to keep posting but it's the easiest way for me to keep family and friends up to date on Shelby and whats going on with us. Anyhoo-I will have to write you an actual email before I write a novel in this comment box! Great to hear from you. Glad to see you are having some fun adventures sub-ing! I'll write you more soon!