Saturday, March 28, 2009

Working Woman

While I'm anxiously awaiting where we'll live in the summer and wondering where I will be doing my student teaching, I will interest you with my work history. When in Idaho, I found out my mother-in-law didn't know I used to work at Red Robin, at no fault of her own, so I thought it might be interesting to fill all of you in on my work history. YEA!!

Pre-real jobs. I worked as a babysitter. Not too exciting, except for when I had to babysit a newborn. I was scared to death to pick her up... I thought she would break!

#1. At 15, I started working at Big Dipper and Chocolate Factory in Page, AZ. During the interview, my boss actually told me to sample the ice cream so I could tell customers what it tasted it like. Famous last words, but it was AWESOME!!! (Had to file a police report for the business--ask me later)
#2. When I moved back to CA, I got a job at TJ Maxx. I "got" to work in the dressing room, bored out of my mind. Needless to say, it didn't last long.
#3. My mom got me a job working with her at Food For Thought. It was an artsy kitchenware store. Not really my thing, but customers liked my personality, so they bought from me... But not enough, because it went out of business a couple months later.
#4. I had to find another job ASAP because I was in a work-study class at school. Ugh. So I found a job at a medical office filing. I got a LOT of paper cuts. It wasn't bad, other than losing a couple years off my life having to smell the odor coming from the nurses: a pack of cigarettes per break "covered up" by a half bottle of smelly spray. It was bad. But, if you want to hear what happened when I quit, it's a good story!
#5. I moved to Simi Valley to live with my aunt and uncle and found a job at Sav-On Pharmacy. It was a really good job and I was actually sad to leave it and the people I worked with. They even got a going away cake. BUT, one of the pharmacists was really mean to customers and yelled at them sometimes. I don't think he liked his life. (Had to file a police report for the business--ask me later)

#6. When I moved back to San Diego I worked at Red Robin. I worked there for almost two years--longest job yet. My brother said I wouldn't enjoy it because it was a fun atmosphere, but I loved it. It was really hard for me when I started serving--I had to get used to people being jerks and realizing it wasn't personal. But I got really good and became one of the favorites. Really, they really liked me.
#7. When I came to BYU, I didn't work for the first year. Living at home and not having to pay rent really has its benefits (minus the curfew "for my own good"). After we got married, I decided I should find a job, so I worked for the BYU Office of IT. That was okay--BYU people can be weird sometimes though. And once I got this guy who thought the world was going to end or something and talked to me for an hour about why he wasn't allowed on BYU campus but was there anyway. It was awkward. I thought I would have to fill out a police report.
#8. After graduating, BYU doesn't like you. I worked for MyFamily.com. I didn't like it. That's all I'll say.
#9. I next found a job at Modbe Clothing--a local modest clothing company in Orem. This was also an interesting job. There were some good times and I found out a lot about the Better Business Bureau (through threats of reporting the company)... I liked some of the people I worked with and some of the benefits/clothes. I learned a lot about people and business.
#10. Anyway, since going back to school, I work two jobs. I work at a child care at the local rec center and sub through Provo School District when I have time. It's good but tiring and busy.

So, in ten years I've had ten jobs. Ouch. But, some lasted a lot longer than others so it sounds worse than it really is... I just can't get over how different they all were. I have gotten a lot of experience, but nothing that will really be good for me finding a teaching position, other than subbing. Oh well, I've had fun!

3 comments:

Bill said...

Loved this post--I had no idea you had worked all those places, especially as a server at Red Robin for 2 years! Crazy--me too(just at Rodizio Grill and Outback)How did I miss that? Maybe you did tell me, but in my prego state I forgot alot of things....who am I kidding, I still forget alot of things!-lol

And as for job #9, I'm pretty sure that its safe to say I was and am one of those people you liked...hehe. Good times, good times! Anyhoo-any plans for the summer? I might be in town end of May or June ish--we should get together!

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

I love your blog!! You have always been such a good writer. So fun to read about all of your jobs! Love Ya!